"When I was young, we couldn't afford much. But my library card was my key to the world."
~ John Goodman
10 important things you need to know about our American libraries.
1. Americans go to school, public and academic libraries nearly three times more often than they go to the movies.
2. There are more public libraries than McDonald's in the U.S. (total of 16,604 including branches).
3. 59% of adults in the U.S. have a public library card.
4. Reference librarians in the nation's public and academic libraries answer nearly 5.7 million questions weekly.
5. Public libraries are the number one point of online access for people without internet connections at home, school or work (98.7% of public libraries provide public access to the internet).
6. Public libraries are one of the greatest equalizers for equitable access to information regardless of race, creed or income level.
7. In these times of economic crisis, over 65% of public libraries provide services for job seekers.
8. Americans spend more than twice as much on candy as they do on public libraries.
9. Americans spend $34.95 a year for the public library (and check out an average of more than seven books a year)
10. A public library provides a safe, warm, friendly place for a poor family to read with their children. (Sources: American Library Association, Henmead Enterprises, Inc.)
|Boston Children's Museum||Admits up to 4 people for half price admission. Coupon.|
|Easton Children's Museum||Closed on most Mondays. 4 people half price admission.
|Massachusetts State Parks||Free day parking at Massachusetts State Parks|
|Museum of Science in Boston||$7 per person up to
4 people. Not valid for Omni or Planetarium. Coupon
|Mystic Seaport||Pass admits 2 adults plus 2 children at half-price. Children under 6 admitted free.|
|New England Aquarium||Pass admits 4 people - $10 per person. Ages under 3 admitted free. Coupon Seasonal: September-June|
|PawSox||Voucher admits up to 6 people for $21 or $4/ticket. Check our tixkeeper calendar for available game dates. Coupon|
|Plimoth Plantation||Pass admits up to 4 people - $12 per person. Open April-November.|
|Providence Children's Museum|| Pass admits up to 4 people at 1/2 price admission. Coupon
This pass is co-sponsored by the MOMS Club of Norton and the Friends.
|Roger Williams Park + Zoo||$3.00 discount on admission for up to
|USS Constitution Museum||Free admission for up to 9 people.
|Zeiterion Theater||Anyone with a SAILS Library Card may present the card at the box office to receive a $3 discount on up to two tickets. Check the Norton Library bulletin boards for periodic additional discounts.|
The Norton Public Library, with financial assistance from the Friends of the Library, offers passes for these area museums. Some museums charge a small fee with the pass, while others allow free admittance. Some passes may also be used for discounts at museum stores. Click on the museum links for specific information about each museum, such as hours and closing dates. Some passes do not have to be returned, as they are paper tickets; others are actual passes that must be returned after use to be available for others. Failure to do so will incur fines. Reservations go very quickly during school vacation weeks as well as during the summer months, so plan ahead.